Harrogate School of Theology and Mission is delighted to sponsor an essay writing competition for those aged 18 or under. There is a prize of £100 for the winner.
We have chosen the topic of religion and justice to support our upcoming lecture by Esther Swaffield: Fixing Systems Not Just Symptoms: The Biblical Call to Justice with International Justice Mission on Saturday 25th November 2023, from 10.00 – 12.00 noon. In this lecture, Esther will be considering the Biblical call to justice; diving into real examples of where International Justice Mission are working on the ground to see freedom, justice and transformation. There will be an exploration of how we can take action to bring greater justice and mercy in our world today. With around 50 million people trapped in slavery, 1 in 4 of these children, this is a massive issue for our world. How might we engage as individuals and churches to help end slavery in our lifetime?
Anyone still at school gets free entry to attend the lecture (which includes a continental breakfast).
Terms and Conditions
- By entering the competition, entrants agree to these terms and conditions. Failure to comply with these terms and conditions may result in disqualification.
- Entries must be in English and submitted by email, with the required accompanying information:
- Full name
- Date of birth
- Name of school or place of education attended
- There is a limit of one entry per student.
- The competition closes on 31st December 2023 (by 19.00). Entries will not be accepted after this time.
- Entrants must be 18 or under on the submission date
- Entries will be judged by a panel of judges from Harrogate School of Theology and Mission. The judging criteria will include:
- A clear essay which is well-evidenced and reaches a clear conclusion
- Submissions should not exceed 1,000 words
- You should provide referenced sources of information
- Submissions must be your own work and be relevant to the title and guidance
- The winner will receive a £100, payable by BACs into their bank account, or if they do not have one, an appropriate shopping voucher, which may be delivered directly by email.
- The winner’s entry will be published on the Harrogate School of Theology and Mission website and may also be published in the local media.
- The judging panel’s decisions are final, and binding, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The winner will be notified by email within 6 weeks of the closing date.
- There is no fee to enter the competition.
- No responsibility for late, incomplete, corrupt or lost entries will be accepted.
- HST&M reserve the right to, at their absolute discretion, cancel, suspend, or vary the competition, or any part of it (including these Terms and Conditions). HST&M reserve the right to disqualify any individual who has not complied with the letter or spirit of these Terms and Conditions.
- Entrants warrant that their entries are not offensive, defamatory, libellous, obscene, indecent, harassing or threatening or otherwise unlawful, and are unique, have not been plagiarised and do not infringe the intellectual property rights or any other rights of a third party.